Custard Bread Pudding is a classic dessert made by layering pieces of bread in a baking dish, pouring a sweet custard mixture over the top, and baking it in the oven until golden and set. The result is a warm and comforting dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Its simple ingredients and easy preparation make it a classic dessert that is sure to please any crowd.
- 8 slices of soft white bread, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes, making sure to coat all the bread.
- Press down on the bread to make sure it is submerged in the custard mixture.
- Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the custard.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let the pudding cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This recipe yields approximately 8 servings. Each serving contains:
- Calories: 492
- Total Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 207mg
- Sodium: 317mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 58g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 44g
- Protein: 10g
Custard Bread Pudding is a classic dessert that is sure to please any crowd. This recipe provides a perfect balance of creamy custard and sweet bread, with just the right amount of cinnamon and nutmeg for added warmth and flavor. The dish is easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time, making it a great option for entertaining or special occasions. However, due to its high sugar and fat content, it is best enjoyed in moderation as a treat.