At its core, chocolate cake is a classic dessert made with a blend of flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and other key ingredients that vary depending on the recipe. Some variations may call for additions like coffee, buttermilk, or sour cream, which enhance the chocolate flavor and create a moist, tender crumb. The cake is typically baked in round or rectangular pans and can be layered with frosting, ganache, or other toppings.
One of the great things about chocolate cake is its versatility. It can be served as a simple sheet cake, dressed up for special occasions, or transformed into cupcakes, cake pops, or other bite-sized treats. It can also be customized with different flavors and ingredients, like peanut butter, raspberry, or mint.
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gradually stir in the boiling water and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Gradually add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and beat until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread a layer of frosting on top of one of the cakes and place the other cake on top.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake, using a spatula to create a smooth surface.
This recipe makes 16 servings, and each serving contains the following nutritional information:
- Calories: 411
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 366mg
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 50g
- Protein: 4g
This chocolate cake recipe is a classic, and for good reason. The cake is moist and tender, with a rich chocolate flavor that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. The frosting is creamy and indulgent, and complements the cake perfectly. The preparation time is reasonable, and the recipe is easy to follow. Overall, this chocolate cake is a must-try for anyone who loves desserts, and is sure to become a favorite in any household.